Company: CITY OF FAYETTEVILLE-HR
Posted on: August 15, 2019
DISPATCHER I (Shift: 10:00pm - 6:00am) 28
$35,006.40 - $42,161.60 Annually
Essential Job Duties The City of Fayetteville is committed to
attracting, engaging and rewarding a multi-generational workforce.
By offering a total rewards package including competitive
compensation and benefits plans and a purposeful work life, the
City is an employer of choice focused on serving our community.
The starting rate of pay for this position will be within 15% of
the grade range minimum. The rate determined will depend on
experience and qualifications.
The grade range for this position is:
(Minimum 15% Minimum) Market Maximum
$16.83 $19.35 $20.27 $24.33
- Provide good customer service to both internal and external
customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships
with other City employees (especially members, of his or her own
team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is
- Responsible for operating a communications console and related
equipment to dispatch police, fire personnel and after hour city
on-call staff in response to requests for assistance in emergency
situations in accordance with established departmental procedures
- Main Police Channel - Dispatch and monitor all radio traffic
generated by Police Personnel related to calls for service and
self-initiated activity. Includes directing the "net" during
emergency situations and being able to determine when calls should
be held for cross beat dispatching versus calls that have
- Fire Dispatch Channel - Dispatch and monitor all radio traffic
generated by Fire Personnel related to calls for service and
self-initiated activity. Fire incidents require several tasks to be
done at the same time, i.e. locating hydrant information, weather
information, monitoring on scene times, paging notifications when
policy dictates, etc.
- Police B Channel - Information channel which handles all
informational request from officers to include driver's license
checks, criminal history checks, vehicle checks, want and warrants
checks from in-house computer, calls for a wrecker, incident number
and times, etc. This channel handles non-emergency police radio
traffic during emergency situations when the main police channel
has the net directed.
- 911 Public Safety Answering Point - Answer all 911 calls for
City of Fayetteville including medical calls. Goal is to answer
within 6 seconds. Must know procedures for call taking and be able
to deal with callers who might be irate, under the influence of
alcohol and drugs, obscene, suicidal and mentally impaired. Must
know procedure for adding on the language line, contacting various
emergency agencies such as poison control, and other agencies not
in our jurisdiction. Must be able to interpret map data when a
wireless call is received. Responsible for recording and entering
911 data for statistical purposes.
- Citywide Channel- Dispatches and monitors this channel for
after hour city emergency calls. Including Animal Services, Meter,
Water/Sewer, Transportation, etc. Responsible for monitoring this
channel for traffic from all city agencies. Must know each
department/division's policy for emergency calls. Must be able to
notify various contacts for these departments depending on their
needs, i.e. Arkansas One Call, Arkansas Highway Department,
- Police Department Business Lines - Must be able to answer this
line within 3 rings. This responsibility requires transferring of
calls from other agencies or departments, answering questions
regarding civil matters, handling irate, drunk, obscene, suicidal
and mentally impaired callers in a professional manner. Dealing
with multiple phone calls virtually at the same time. Must be able
to answer questions on a variety of topics and/or find out where to
get the answers, i.e. related to special events in town, weather,
other agencies, business and address locations, etc.
- Enter stolen property and wanted persons into the Arkansas
Crime Information Center System. Validate all records entered by
following policies created by ACIC. Second party review of all
- Update informational books kept in dispatch such as position
books, disaster book, and fire book. Updating pre-arrival
information kept in the AS400. Updating special instructions, this
is information on who to call after hours in case of emergency on
all businesses in Fayetteville.
- This job requires regular, professional, and diplomatic contact
with vendors, citizens, business owners, local public safety
agencies and outside representatives.
- Maintain trespass log - this is for when officers notify
dispatch that a person was warned of criminal trespass and used not
only by the officers but also the prosecuting attorneys office;
extra patrol log - these are requested by citizens for extra patrol
in a particular reasons such as out of town, traffic problems, etc;
this log lets officers know where these requests are so they can be
checked. Briefing log - dispatchers log information items for
officers to read about variety of topics such as stolen vehicles,
officer safety items, etc.
- Record Maintenance-such as making sure names are attached
properly, addresses are entered without overrides, etc.
Secondary Job Duties
- Tactical/Special Event Dispatch - some dispatchers are assigned
to this duty. Respond with Emergency Response Team to various
call-outs. Work the command post and special events independent of
the dispatch center
- Secondary duties as assigned.
- High school diploma and prefer one year of Public Safety
Dispatcher or related experience.
- Ability to obtain ACIC (Arkansas Crime Information Center)
Level I and II certification within six (6) months of date of
- Ability to meet all NIMS (National Incident Management System)
training requirements within six months of employment.
- United States Citizen; not less than 18 years of age; must not
have any felony convictions.
- Must possess a valid Driver's License.
- Pass pre-employment dispatch testing
- Effectively communicate with others orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform duties in a high stress environment dealing
with energetic personnel.
- Must be proficient in the use of a computer, multi-line
telephone and other related software programs. Must be able to
effectively operate standard office equipment.
- Must be proficient in the use of radio system, radio computer,
computer aided dispatch system, mapping computers, weather radio,
Arkansas Crime Information Center Computer, 911 computer, telephone
system, recording systems, Fire Alarm Panel, and Telephone Device
for the Deaf through 911 equipment.
- This position requires the ability to speak clearly and be
understood on radio systems, as well as understand what is being
said by others on the radio systems, to ensure safety of self and
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from
customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is
regularly required to talk and hear. The employee regularly is
required to stand, walk, and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or
feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel,
crouch and crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move
up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required to accomplish
computer and office work.
- Offers of hire will be contingent upon successfully passing a
drug screen and criminal background check.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is in
an outdoor environment for tactical/special event assignments, and
Keywords: CITY OF FAYETTEVILLE-HR, Fayetteville , Dispatcher, Professions , Fayetteville, Arkansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!